To Africa - Survival, Strength


African history is replete with setbacks and heroic, incredible stories of survival.

 I extend my appreciation and great esteem to the strong people of Africa.

As a tribute to the country that was home to my grandparents for almost four decades, mother and other family, 

I painted this woman in the company of the blue starling, a common bird found in Tanzania.

 I chose this bird for its color and its great ability to be a survivor in spite of odds. 

I tried to use the striking boldness of designs on the ‘kanga’ dress of the Tanzanians as the background of my painting. 

It also reminds me of how my mother used to make Saris out of them.

Africa is my birthplace and I grew up listening to magical tales of life in the sisal estates of Tanzania.

 Tanzania evokes joy in the light dimmed eyes of my 93-year-old grandpa even now. 

They, that is my grandparents, can slip into Swahili with ease and

 reminiscence about their experiences with 

a mixture of love, loss and laughter!

 

 

 

 

 

 

A sketch with ball point pen that I did before painting

 

 

 


I want to share with you a quote that has always resonated with me. 
Its relevancy is not only to Africa, but also to all the rat race and 
 power wars in our world where a silent story goes unsaid or unheard.


              Lines from Chinua Achebe’s Things Fall Apart, which goes like this,


                                             “Until the lions have their own historians, 

                                      the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter…”

- Chinua Achebe

 I must add that the comment by, 

Chris and Angela

has inspired me to mention the

 Sydney Peace Prize winner,  

Senator Sekai Holland 

who said in her acceptance speech,

"This award comes as a wonderful surprise but one which is so encouraging. 

I accept on behalf of the brave women I have worked with for so many years 

and for my colleagues in our present 

Organ for National Healing Reconciliation and Integration."

 

I am sharing my work with   

Art EveryDay Month, Art Journal Every Day

Mandarin Orange Monday 

Artists in Blogland 

Show me what you got Art Link up

Comments

  1. I actually like your sketch! and love the quote :-) xo L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I liked my sketch too..I must try to make my color work better too! Thank you so much.

      Delete
  2. I love the power this painting exudes with your choice of contrasting colors and the bold polka dotted background. As to your quote, I couldn't agree with it more. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a gorgeous piece, I love it, stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your sketch!

    Mine are here and here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did check out your site, but unfortunately my comments were not showing up. Thank you for dropping by.

      Delete
  5. your artworks have a pure quality about them,with good balance and very appealing colour and pattern.these three words have a lot of meaning and are what Sekai Holland stands for:reconciliation, healing and integration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know about her and I am so thankful you mentioned her! I read up about Senator Sekai Holland and felt a lot of respect! Thank you!
      Felt I should add a link if anyone wants to check it out. http://sydneypeacefoundation.org.au/peace-prize-recipients/2012-sekai-holland/

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the very lovely and poetic comment you left on my blog. It led me to your blog and this wonderful painting. I love the story behind it. The bird, background and expressive face are beautiful. I have never read that quote, but it resonated with me deeply and I know how true it is. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful and meaningful artwork.Thank you for sharing it on Mandarin Orange Monday:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorik, I was happy to join MOM! Thank you for hosting.

      Delete
  8. I loved reading this post, and the artwork that accompanies it is so beautiful! Love that blue against the dark background.

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a wonderful piece
    along with the tale you have shared
    you have touched my heart
    and i love that hunters quote!

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS it is hunting season here, so that quote really resounds in my thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've started doing sketches before painting and I notice that when I keep the paper around after the paint is down I become more citical of the painting as if I like the looseness of the pen sketch more. Thanks for sharing with SMWYG!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad that I found your amazing artwork and energy from your kind comment on my blog. I'm floating on your positive words--thank you so much. I love this piece and the personal story/memories attached. This is my favorite kind of artwork--one attached to a beautiful story. Stay in touch! XO, Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've used ink pen too to doodle/scribble. Love her blue hair. Dark background striking. In case you don't know, The Liebster award, that you commented about at my blog, is actually a link request. Even-though a friend may pass it to you (tagging), I consider an award to be without requirements. In fact, I've found that these tagging "awards" can require a lot of time in which to participate. Some recipients don't follow the requirements, but take the banner and post it on their blog anyway.

    When I commit to something, I like to dot every i and cross every t. I was so excited when I got my first award like this, because I thought it was just that, an award. Because I am very particular about how I manage things, it was time-consuming for me. When I compiled my first award list, one of my recipients was confident enough to refuse the award, stating that she just did not have the time. I've decided to do the same, now that I understand what they really are.

    I enjoy linking with others of course, and want others to link with me, but I need to do that as my time allows, and one at a time. If I'm given an award strictly on merit or appreciation, I'll accept that. :) And those are the only kinds that I'll give from now one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Iam happy and thankful when I get genuine comments.
Spammers are definitely not welcome. Move on.

Popular Posts